Sour Mash Berliner Weisse

My current Berliner Weisse is taking too long with the lactobacillus pitched in, so I play to “rush” one to see how it turns out. I’ve been seeing good reviews online, so hopefully this will work. I have a new stc-1000 and more reptile heat cable coming in the mail to test this recipe.

 

I plan to follow the same recipe from my last Berliner:

  • 3.75lb Pilsner
  • 2.75lb Wheat
  • 1oz Noble hops
  • Boil for 15m

However, this time I plan to go through with a Sour Mash.

  1. Fit a hose on a 3 piece airlock (1/2 ID) with an adapter to go up to a CO2 hose (5/16 ID)
  2. Place lid on bucket and purge it
  3. Mash like normal
  4. Transfer wort into an ale pail
  5. throw in a handful of grain
  6. Purge headspace with CO2
  7. Wrap in reptile coil and set STC to 110-115F
  8. Wait a few days to sour
  9. Boil it for 15 minutes with 1oz Saaz
  10. Chill and pitch yeast

 

 

Advertisements

Brew Day – Pumpkin Ale Part Duex

image

Last year a friend and I got together to brew a pumpkin ale. Both of our batches got infected. Wasn’t bad tasting as an accidental sour, but wasn’t what we were looking for. This year we are giving it another shot.

The brew day started off like every other. It then became a bit of a mess. Haul the equipment up from the basement, fill the HLT, heat the water, transfer to the mash tun, and then the comedy of errors started. Just as the mash tun was warming up (coolers steal about 10 degrees F), my dog decides to pee on our grain bag. Not the end of the world, my friend transferred the grain to a bucket plus it’s going to be boiled anyway

The sparge, boil, and transfer to carboys went flawlessly, and we hit our numbers. Even clean up was going fine, until I saw the unopened bag of brown sugar. I’m guessing beersmith didn’t calculate the pumpkin correctly, or the extra pound and a half we threw in bumped the numbers enough, but I’m shocked we hit 1.065 without it. It will be added when the krausen starts to fall.

Finally I set the beer in the fermentation chamber, plugged it in, and set it to 17F (pitch low, ferment at 19F). Ran some errands and came back…beer is at 50F and my sanitizer for the blow off is frozen. I look and see that I plugged the freezer directly into the power strip instead of the STC-1000.

Since I couldn’t pitch, I cleaned up my workspace down there while the reptile ropes heated my chamber. A few hours later, it was where I needed. I decanter my started, aerated, pitched, and few hours later the beer is bubbling along with a nice krausen.

Not the smoothest brew day, but not a disaster. I’d mark it in the win column (at least until we try the beer).

Edit 8/18 I check the beer this AM…I plugged freezer into the wrong STC outlet…luckily it only hit 21C, but now the freezer is on….

My recipe:

**Fermentables** (Mash at 156)

* 20lbs – 2-row
* .5lb Crystal 30
* 1lb Crystal 80
* 2lb 8oz Victory Malt
* 4.5lbs of canned pumpkin
* Ton of Rice Hulls
* 1.5lb Brown Sugar (end of boil)

**Boil**

* 1oz Nugget – 60m

**Yeast**

* American Ale – Wyeast 1056

* pumpkin pie spice at kegging

They had no C30, so I did 1/4lb 20 and 1/4lb 40.

Edit 8/18 I checked the beer this AM…I plugged freezer into the wrong STC outlet…luckily it only hit 21C, but now the freezer is on.

Mistake Count:

1. Dog peed on grain bag
2. Forgot sugar addition
3. Chilled wort to 50F
4. Let temp rise to 70F

Edit 9/14: Gravity checked in at 1.008. It has an interesting mouthfeel, like there is something I can’t place. I am attributing that to the pumpkin. I think some light spice will tie it together. Finished at 7.4%

Keezer Build

I’m starting to get my keezer together. This weekend, while in the middle of the mash for my American Pale Ale, I decided to get a few coats of paint on the chest freezer.

image

The chest freezer has a glossy finish, which had me concerned. However, the paint I bought stated that it is fine on bare metal, you just need to double up the coats.

image

My first coat looked terrible, which means my concern was growing. The paint said to wait four hours before applying the second coat, but I had to get more coverage than this. I waited 5-10 minutes (pretty much made it back to where I started) and added another coat. This one covered completely and looked good.

image

I”ll update this post as I keep working on it.

Edit 8/13/2014 First I built the inside collar to add some strength
image

And then I screwed the full sized collar to the outside.

image

This now gives me 26.5″ clearance above the compressor hump.

image

Almost done. Need to mount the drip pan.

image
Drip tray installed and stained
image
Finished
image